Skip navigation

Monthly Archives: May 2009

Technically, one of these components is meant to be the floor, not a wall.  Regardless, I put them together to get a sense of how the interior space would feel.  I think it will work.  One thing that will NOT work, however, is the weight of these bad boys.  My pod needs to go on a diet; there’s no way that I’d be able to maneuver it down a hill, through a forest, etc.  Dad and I put our heads together, and I think we came up with a good way to shave off a few pounds.  Stay tuned.





Like some other supposedly green certifications (LEED, etc.), I’m naturally skeptical of whether FSC-certified lumber is actually worth the extra cost.  In this case it doesn’t matter, since Audubon’s lumberyard doesn’t offer anything else (in pre-cut studs, at least).  I searched this particular code on the FSC website, and I learned that my lumber came from Ontario.  Not exactly a local product.  (More on this later.)


After a full day of work (including a nap after lunch), I finished framing the first component.  Everything seemed to go together smoothly; as far as I can tell, it’s plumb and true.  I had to wrestle with a few of the studs to get them straight, but from my limited knowledge of rough carpentry, I realize that it’s not going to be perfect.  And no bleeding!  (Yes, Lydia, I wore my gloves.)


So far, the fabrication table is working really well.  I don’t have to bend over or work on my knees, which is great.  I added these blocks on the edge of the frame (see photo), which gives me something to push against when I’m screwing everything together.  (I’m using 3″ Torx deck screws; it’s nearly impossible to strip out the heads.)


The nice thing about having the structure drawn in 3D is that I can easily assemble a cutlist for all of the framing members.  I originally planned to set up the saw with an adjustable stop that would make it easier to cut multiple pieces of the same length, but I couldn’t get consistent results, so I cut each piece individually.